The 9th Annual Hispanic Heritage Month State Commemoration will take place on Friday, October 9, at the Capitol Building in Lincoln, Neb.
The Commemoration, hosted by the Nebraska Latino American Commission (NLAC) and sponsored by McDonald's, Southeast Community College, U.S. Bank and Wells Fargo, is open to the public and will honor Latinos across the state while observing Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 as Hispanic Heritage Month in Nebraska.
Keynote Speaker: Nita Gonzales, daughter of Chicano activist Corky Gonzales, founder and current director of Escuela Tlatelolco in Denver, a school that focuses on Latino students and includes a Mexican-American Studies curriculum. She is also an education and Chicano rights activist.
This year the four Hispanic Heritage Month Award recipients are:
- Humanitarian Award: Senator John McCollister (District 20) and former Senator Jeremy Nordquist (District 7) for introduction and support of LB 623;
- Inspiration Award: Luis Sotelo of Lexington for school and community leadership;
- Organization Award: Madison Public Schools for initiatives to help their Latino student population; and
- Event Award: Scottsbluff’s Lady of Guadalupe Church Annual Dinner for bringing the community together and celebrating Mexican culture for over 40 years.
Essay Contest Winners
We will recognize our six Hispanic Heritage Month Essay Contest Winners and our first place winners will read their essay to the audience.
The High School winners are:
First Place: Hillary Carrillo of Lexington High School
Second Place: Pamela Cante of Lincoln’s North Star High School
Third Place: Martin Lagunas Nava of Omaha’s Bryan Senior High School
The Middle School winners are:
First Place: Noah Randolph of Omaha’s Brownell-Talbot Middle School
Second Place: Divith Rajagopal of Lincoln’s Lux Middle School
Third Place: Yair Garcia of Schuyler Middle School
El Centro de las Americas is hosting a reception at El Mariachi Taco Cantina at 601 R St. in Lincoln. From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. there will be free food, cash bar, great company, and music. The event is completely free to attend, though open donations are being taken to help Lincoln resident Felix Valle’s medical support bills.
The State of Nebraska Governor's Office has released a list of current and upcoming openings on Boards and Commissions that are appointed by the Governor.
If interested, please complete the online application prior to the end of the month of their deadlines. Upcoming Deadlines:
- Nebraska Arts Council
- Collection Agency Licensing Board
- Early Childhood Interagency Coordinating Council
- Election Commissioner
- State Electrical Board
- Equal Opportunity Commission
- Fire Safety Appeals Board
- GIS Geographic Information Systems
- Hall of Fame
- Commission on Indian Affairs
- State Board of Landscape Architects
- Natural Gas Fuel Board
- Oil & Gas Conservation Commission
- Board of Parole
- Board of Public Accountancy
- Rural Health Advisory Commission
- State Emergency Response Commission SERC
- Suggestion Award Board
If you have questions about requirements for any of the Boards or Commissions listed please contact Kathleen Dolezal at 402-471-1971 or email: Kathleen.firstname.lastname@example.org